Whether you have a small company or a large corporation, internet marketing is key to helping your business flourish and grow. If you’ve never dabbled in marketing your business online, you might not be sure how it works or where to begin. Fortunately, we’re here to help. Here are some key questions to ask before getting into internet marketing.
What Exactly IS Internet Marketing?
Also commonly referred to as digital marketing, internet marketing is used to describe any form of online advertising. This may include social media advertising, affiliate advertising, email marketing, content marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and paid advertising.
Internet marketing may mean using the following tools to help your business grow:
- A website
- Social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Snapchat, etc.)
- Audiobooks or eBooks
- Video content
Does Internet Marketing Actually Work?
Internet marketing can be a highly effective marketing strategy for nearly any business. Here’s why:
Statistica reports that there were 4.66 billion internet users as of January 2021—or nearly 60% of the worldwide population. This means that there’s an opportunity for literally billions of people to see your business with internet marketing.
Whether you own a local business or sell at the international level, digital marketing makes it possible for your business to be seen by hundreds, thousands, millions, or billions of people who might not have heard of it otherwise. This extra exposure increases your potential for sales and can help your business thrive.
What Are the Other Benefits?
Global reach isn’t the only benefit of internet marketing. Here are some of the other benefits:
- It’s cost-effective. Digital marketing is less expensive than traditional forms of advertising, such as TV, radio, and billboard advertisements. You can also customize your internet marketing plan to suit your budget.
- You can market 24/7. Your ads can run at any and every hour of the day, so there’s no need to worry about time constraints as you would with some traditional forms of advertising. International customers will also have the ability to see your ads at a time that works for them. Some forms of advertisement, such as YouTube videos, web content, or blogs, will also be on the web forever (unless you choose to remove them), allowing potential customers to find your business at any time.
- It can build trust with potential buyers. Social media pages allow your customers to leave reviews, which can build trust with future potential buyers.
- Customers can find your business again in the future. Having an online presence makes it easier for your customers to find your business again in the future. This increases the chances for repeat customers.
Is Digital Marketing a Solution for Every Business?
Yes. No matter what your business is, internet marketing can help your business thrive. That being said, the type of business you have will determine what your online marketing strategy should be. A local pizzeria would want to implement different digital marketing strategies than an online clothing boutique would, for example. A local pizzeria would likely focus on social media marketing to create brand awareness. At the same time, an online clothing boutique would want to focus on SEO, social media marketing, and influencer advertisements to drive sales.
What Steps Should You Take to Begin Online Advertising?
There are several steps that every business should take before beginning its internet marketing journey. Here’s what to consider:
- Determine your marketing goals. Do you want to sell a product or bring more customers into your local business? Do you want to increase brand awareness and gain more followers? It’s essential to determine what you wish to receive with online advertising.
- Figure out your target audience. If you want to achieve your goals, it’s essential to determine your target audience or the group of people who are most likely to buy your product or take an interest in your brand. Your business or product and your marketing goals will determine who your target audience is. You can do as much internet marketing as you want, but it will all be a waste if you don’t market to your target audience.
- Set a marketing budget. It’s important to set a realistic budget for advertising. The internet marketing strategies you choose to utilize will determine what your budget will be. The good news is that certain digital marketing methods, such as social media marketing, SEO, and content creation, won’t be too costly. It’s ideal for creating a balance of both paid and free digital marketing strategies.
- Start creating content. Whether you choose to create your own content or hire someone else to do it, the goal is to create high-quality, engaging content that appeals to your target audience. Content can come in the form of blog posts, your website, and social media posts. It’s best to check out what your competitors are doing to find new and creative ways to appeal to your target audience.
Internet marketing can be a game-changer for your business. There are plenty of opportunities out there to help just about any business thrive in the digital market, but it’s up to you to make it work for you. You will need to spend a significant amount of time researching SEO keywords, studying your competitors, and analyzing your results. Over time, however, you will begin to see the results that you want. So, why are you waiting? Get started now!